Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Last Town on Earth: A 2012 Reading Challenge Book (#7)

This year the goal is to read 60 books on a variety of subject matter--fiction, non-fiction, philosophy, theology, the environment, pop culture, science, etc.
To see my progress or check my other reviews click the page link above entitled, "2012 Reading Challenge"
 
  
2006, Random House
The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen

Review
Set during World War I in a fictional town quarantining itself against a devastating flu epidemic, this is a piece of fiction willing to tackle the hardest parts of life in a godless age. In question are the ethics and politics of separation and what is appropriate to sacrifice for the greater good. The tone is dark, the answers not to be found. Mullen seems ambivalent to any greater morality or guiding principle. Characters die on a whim; love is lost as quickly as it is found. I suppose, in some ways, that this is the point, but I admit I've never liked stories like these.

Recommendation
After finishing this book, my first thought was: "For the love of God, I need to read a happy story next." Or maybe I just need something that gives me some meaning in life again. The appeal of a book like this is that it's honest; it doesn't try to craft a non-existent morality in an immoral situation. But the downside is the same. I still believe that the reason formualic, moral stories matter is because they speak to something true about the universe. This is not such a book; it doesn't pretend to be, so perhaps the issue is mine, but I can only judge from my own perspective.

Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment