Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blink: A 2012 Reading Challenge Book (#9)

This year the goal is to read 60 books on a variety of subject matter--fiction, non-fiction, philosophy, theology, the environment, pop culture, science, etc.

To see my progress or check my other reviews click the page link above entitled, "2012 Reading Challenge"

Back Bay Books, 2005
 Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Review
There is something about Malcolm Gladwell that I just love to listen to on road trips. So, yes, I may have cheated in listening to this as an audio book, but since this is my challenge, I make the rules. This book struck me as somewhat less interesting than Outliers; its conclusions seem a little convoluted for one and there seems to be much less upside to what Gladwell is talking about. However, with that said, the book will get you to think about... well... how you think. While the conclusions aren't very straight-forward, the analysis of our thinking processes is something we don't often consider. It got me thinking. It helped me understand some of why I think and act how I do. It brought insight into my chess game and even my understanding of faith and thought. I think that whatever you bring to Blink you will come away with great new thoughts and perhaps even understanding, regardless of where you fall into the conclusions.

Recommendation
If you're into the science of how we think, or interested in how it is that we perceive the world, then this is a fascinating book. Gladwell is willing to challenge some long-held assumptions about thought, and I found myself agreeing with some of the radical conclusions he came to. This is not the kind of book for which you need to be a true believer in the methodology or conclusions to enjoy and for that I think it has achieved a deservedly wide readership. And as I said before, it's a great audio book!

Grade:
B

No comments:

Post a Comment