Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chess as art

In between rounds at the Minnesota Open I was reading Madeleine L'Engle's Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art.  And suddenly it struck me for the first time that chess--just perhaps--is actually an art. I have heard that said before, but I kind of thought it was just an excuse to be more eclectic and important than chess players really are (I say this as a definite member of the group). Yet, today, something changed.

L'Engle writes, "We are hurt; we are lonely; and we turn to music or words, and as compensation beyond all price we are given glimpses of the world on the other side of time and space."

There is something beautiful in that, something reminding me that, like music or poetry, chess can be art.  It's a game first, yes, but the more time you spend around chess players the more you realize (I know I do) that there is a lot of hurt and loneliness and this expression isn't perhaps cultural in the United States, yet it remains a real outlet.  And that, I think, is a glimpse of grace.

118th Minnesota Open

No comments:

Post a Comment