Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Destination. Determination. Deliberation."

Today I made a couple of fantastic decisions. One was to put up a Harry Potter quote as my Facebook status every day between now and the release of Deathly Hallows.  I'm not even going to attribute them, because to be honest... if you don't know them you won't care anyway.  If you ask me I'll tell you who said it and when.

Decision two was going to Afton State Park and hiking around all day.  Great time.  Good company.  Brilliant fall colors (some pictures coming later).  It was basically the best way to put off homework ever invented (second is posting on the blog).


Number 3 ties in with number 1.  I am going to internalize the above quote.  OK, I realize not every HP quote is meaningful, and certainly not everything is deep.  But I was pondering the three D's today, like the nerdy seminary student that I am, and I realized that there is something fantastic in there.

1:  Destination.  We all need a purpose, a larger goal, something we are heading for.  If you don't know where you're going then you haven't got a chance to know where you are.  This doesn't need to be some detailed, mapped-out, pre-planned course for life, but I think it does need to be in the back of your mind, driving you forward.

2. Determination.  I have been smitten recently by certain circumstances beyond my control.  It's really easy to embody those things--it's really easy to play into being the victim or the perpetrator.  Determination is about rising above that and playing by new rules.  It is, in essence, atonement.  It doesn't mean that you can't admit a feeling of loss or hurt, but it means something else profound as well:  there will be a tomorrow.

3. Deliberation.  This is the tricky one (and the one I wanted to ignore).  I tend to dwell on things that don't work out.  Then, walking amongst the fallen leaves and gorgeous red-yellows of this Minnesota autumn day, it hit me:  this is deliberation.  It is being with those who are straight with you and with whom you feel comfortable.  It is about taking a walk in the park and not just to get somewhere.  It is simply living.

Who knew that we might be learning a little bit more than Apparition from Wilkie Twycross?

No comments:

Post a Comment