Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Concord: What in God's Name is "Christian Music"?



It happened in a conversation that I semi-intruded upon, as I am wont to do late at night in Bockman Hall (the reader beware lest your next remarks grace these pages): A fellow seminary student and camp friend bemoaned the lack of good Christian bands. He was feeling nostalgic for the days of Audio Adrenaline, the Newsboys, and other equally trendy groups of the early 2000s. It is so hard to find good Christian music these days, he whined. OK, whined might be too harsh of a word, we’ll go with ‘cried.’

I’m being a tad facetious I think, but I have to wonder what makes a particular group a “Christian band” in the first place, and what in God’s name is this thing called “Christian music”? It’s not as obvious as it sounds; at least I think it’s worth five hundred words or so. WE might devise some simple criteria: Do the lyrics mention Jesus? If yes, then it’s Christian. Or: Do the bands play at churches and Christian music festivals? If yes, then they’re Christian.
Fair enough, but a level deeper it gets messy. There are some artists whose lyrics evolve over time, and there are others who never mention a word about God but whose spirituality is oozing out of every turn of phrase. When does a band become a Christian band: is it on the date of conversion from their heathen past, the first time they get played on Air1? Is it when they first mention Jesus in an album, or something else?

Music is an expression of poetry that reflects the yearning of its poets. Generally this means that artists are going to lyricize those things that truly matter in their lives: God, love, family, getting down and dirty in the club. OK, perhaps not all lyrics are deep. Still, I think we need to be careful stamping music with the Christian insignia not primarily for who gets into the Christian music club but for who is left out. The rapper variously known as Puff Daddy, P Diddy or just Diddy has performed all sorts of meaningless dribble over the years, but he has also had some moments that strike me as bordering on profound in a way that many intentionally Christian artists do not. Take the song “By Faith” recorded for Katrina relief in which Diddy raps:

Forgive my sins, I have the fame
But, for you, I'll trade it all in
It's not about dough, 'cause when you call me
I can't take that when I go
When my vision's blurred, you make it clear
When I need to listen, you make me hear
I permeate all hate
Bless you for blessing me
You got my faith


Let’s not ignore the Gospel because of the package in which it’s delivered. When we get stuck on categorizing artists we miss the power in those things that don’t fit into our boxes. If you think the only music that is worshipful is found on the local Christian radio station or in your favorite hymnal allow me to widen your world. Your favorite music, whatever it may be, can bring you into the presence of the divine. Not all of us resonate with the same melodies or beats, but we all resonate with something. Find your resonance, and don’t let anyone tell you that it isn’t “Christian” music. Christ can speak to you through whatever means he chooses, whether Amy Grant or 50 Cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment