Thursday, August 23, 2012

My first duathlon

You see all those goodies?

Yes, I am a complete dork, but there is not much that gets me more excited than prepping for a race I have been working toward for a long time. Saturday morning I'll be doing something completely different. Well, maybe not completely. I have done four triathlons now since starting in 2006, but all of them have been sprints--pretty easy, straightforward, fast--you get the picture. This is a duathlon--so easier, right?--no swimming. Woot! Well, except this is definitively not a sprint.

The Ngede Challenge is a 10k road run, 10k mountain bike, 25k road bike and a 5k trail run. And it's hilly--like, western Wisconsin hilly.

Four months ago I had never run 10k. 5 miles was pretty much my limit. And you know what? That extra 1.2 miles sucked. Really sucked. Then it didn't. This has been a fun process of training. I have pushed all kinds of limits and shattered some personal bests. I'm faster and I can go A LOT longer than before. There are still some worries: I've trained exactly zero on the mountain bike (I'm picking one up tomorrow), I've never run more than 8 miles, and I really don't know what three transitions will do to me. But this is all a part of the process. This race has been my goal for some time, but it's not the end of the road. There are plenty of races ahead; it's just a matter of picking the next big challenge.

So, I'm heading out to Wisconsin tomorrow, spending the night at a friend's place and racing Saturday morning. I'm mostly over being sick, mostly over crashing three days ago; I'm mostly feeling really good. So, yes, I'm excited.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment