Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Tipping Point: 2012 Reading Challenge Review (#10)

This year the goal is to read 60 books on a variety of subject matter--fiction, non-fiction, philosophy, theology, the environment, pop culture, science, etc.
To see my progress or check my other reviews click the page link above entitled, "2012 Reading Challenge"

2000, Little Brown Publishing
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
Review
OK, I think I've had enough Malcolm Gladwell. I like the way he writes, but it gets to be a little too much after awhile. Three books is most definitely awhile. That said, I find myself thinking like him and using his ideas for much of what I do in church. This is a book about ideas and what makes them stick, but it's also about the market and all of the little things that can make something really big... or not. It's quasi-scientific, though its findings are largely anecdotal. Gladwell tends to make some sweeping generalizations in part because of this, but I think the ideas behind them remain largely true. In the end he's attempting to explain a meta-process in radically specific terminology and taxonomy. For that I applaud him. It is a difficult task.

Recommendation
Don't read all three of Gladwell's major works in quick succession. It's too much. But read one of them. They are good, and they make you think. That is, after all, the goal.

Rating
3.5 stars (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment