Monday, March 12, 2012

Nightwoods: Book Review


3 Crows Corporation, 2011
 Nightwoods by Charles Frazier
Review
It took me a long time to get into this book. For a couple of weeks I dawdled through the opening chapters, reading five or ten pages at a time. I didn't think much of Frazier's writing style or the general arc of the plot, but then I started to get the characters. I started to see that things were connecting and I started to engage in it. The second half of the book I read in about a day. From the author of Cold Mountain, this really is a nice piece of fiction. It takes some getting used to the flow, but then you get into it everything moves along quite nicely to a finish worthy of the story.

Recommendation
This is a solid piece of fiction, well worth a read. Frazier is crass but purposeful and unique in his writing style.The plot is slow at first, but most good fiction is. It's not the kind of book you should expect to pick up and find yourself engrossed in immediately, but it is the kind of book that will tug at you and does not disappoint.

Grade:
4 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment