Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Short-and-to-the-point book review #3 - The Pastor

This year I have challenged myself to read 60 books on a variety of subject matter--fiction, non-fiction, philosophy, theology, environmental issues, pop culture, literature, etc. For each book I plan on posting a short-and-to-the-point review (1-2 paragraphs max), a recommendation and a grade. Hope you enjoy!

To see my progress or check my other reviews click the page link above entitled, "2012 Book Challenge" 

HarperCollins, 2011

The Pastor (A Memoir) by Eugene Peterson
Review
I could see why my bishop gave me this book as ordination present from the moment I began reading. This is a memoir of one of the most centered, and theologically-mainstream, pastors in America, Eugene Peterson. But it doesn't read like a memoir. It reads like good advice for those who would make for themselves a pastoral vocation. From his writing style alone it is obvious that Peterson is reserved in his importance, and cautiously bears the pastoring life not as a badge of honor but as nothing more or less than the entirety of his being. This is not a book to tout pastoring above other vocations or to suggest a single way of being pastor. Instead, this is wisdom borne out of years of making mistakes and growth in spiritual and practical theology. In short, this is the kind of book that should exist somewhere on every seminary curriculum.

Recommendation
If you're a seminarian, read this book. If you're a pastor, this is a perspective worth hearing. If you're a member of a church and interested not just in what your pastor does but in who your pastor is, then this book is for you as well.

Grade:
A

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Boy am I glad you found Peterson helpful. And I think your review "nails" something very critical about him--his utter humility in speaking of pastoral ministry. I'm thinking he's been a pretty "effective" pastor, but you'd never know it to read his memoir. Of course, he's really big on GOD being the be-all and end-all...

    ReplyDelete