Thursday, November 17, 2011

99 or 1?

I am the 99%... and the 1%?

If you're talking about the United States then I'm firmly in the 99, but if you're talking about the world then I'm in the 1. I want to help those in need, but I am as guilty as any of assuming that I'm on the side of inequality. The Gospel text for this Sunday (Matthew 25:31-46) is one that might put this all into perspective if only we'd read it for what it is. Neither the sheep nor the goats know who they are. The goats ask when it was that they saw Christ hungry, thirsty, a stranger, naked and in jail... but the sheep do the same. Neither know if they are on the right or the left. Neither know if they are the 99 or the 1.

All we have is action in blind faith. There is injustice worth our protest, but be careful that you aren't more worried about your position than about justice. Only the Shepherd knows the sheep from the goats. I am the 100; I am qualified for no further separation. I can't get away from my sometimes implicit, often explicit guilt. I act in blind faith, knowing little, praying for the big and the small; the ones whom Jesus came to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment