Friday, November 19, 2010

Review: Deathly Hallows part 1

Saw the HP movie last night at midnight.  Here are my initial thoughts:

It was nicely done, included enough of the books to appeal to HP fanatics and was intriguing--I hope--for non-HP fans.  It lacked the piecemeal quality that so many of the earlier films did.  There was honest dialogue and a good mix of action and intrigue.  Also, there were some really fun moments.  The scene in the Ministry of Magic with the Polyjuice Potion was classic, well acted, and fun to see the actors retaining Harry, Ron and Hermione's characteristics.  Just loved that.

But the scene that made this movie for me was the retelling of the Tale of the Two Brothers by Hermione.  I thought this was going to be hard to re-create in film, but the ink blots were fantastic.  Whoever decided to do it that was a freaking genius.

Only some small things that bugged me.  Seriously, would it have been so hard to put in Wormtail choking himself to make the silver hand relevant?  But let's be honest, you're never going to make a Harry Potter fan completely happy.

Anyway, it was a good movie--not the best I've ever seen but enjoyable and hitting close to the heart of what HP is all about, and I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment