Sunday, August 2, 2020

We don't punch down; we lift up



This passage from 2 Corinthians is talking about what you may call a “paradigm shift.” In life, this typically happens to us a couple of times. We are living life one way with a certain perspective. Then, whether because we discover a different perspective, or we realize our perspective is limited, or we learn new information, or something else happens and our perspective changes. With it, the entire way we view the world may change.
            I’ll give you an example. When I was in high school, I didn’t know there were any different kinds of Lutherans at all. Like many young people, I assumed the world was basically full of people just like me.  I was vaguely aware that our church was part of the Minneapolis Synod of the ELCA, but I assumed that that was simply a geographic designation and that Lutherans were Lutherans. So, I was in high school when I learned that some Lutheran churches did not ordain women. This shocked me, because I had grown up with the assumption that women could and would and often should be pastors. So, I learned a new perspective on the world, but that wasn’t a paradigm shift because I simply disagreed with those “other” Lutherans—even if I didn’t have the perspective yet to understand why.

            As I began undergrad, I learned all the more what made me different from these other Lutherans, and, pretty quickly, I had a fairly negative view of the other Lutherans. After all, they didn’t seem to value the things I valued.
Fast forward a couple years and I found myself working at Camp Lutherhaven in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, which was (and is) a pan-Lutheran camp, meaning it is jointly representative of both the ELCA and those other Lutherans. This is something that doesn’t happen much anymore.
            Now, I want to pause here for a second. There are plenty of things I disagree with the Missouri Synod about and even more so with the Wisconsin Synod; clearly, I am also ELCA by choice and not LCMC or NALC or any of the other alphabet soup variations on Lutheranism in the country. I am who I am and I don’t apologize for it. However, what I experienced at Lutherhaven was an attitude that emphasized we were all in this together. I saw ELCA leaders cheerfully working alongside LCMS leaders with whom they disagreed on pretty much every issue. I saw LCMS leaders who didn’t personally believe women could be pastors nevertheless inviting female ELCA pastors to teach. That gesture went a long way to the paradigm shift I experienced in what it means to be Lutheran, what it means to be Christian, and ultimately what it means to be community.
            We are one in Christ, and I get the practical challenge in that statement, because, frankly, there are plenty of churches who do not value, support, affirm, or celebrate many of those in our church that we value, support, affirm, and celebrate. My wife would not be welcome to lead worship in many of those other churches, and that is a huge problem. I’m not saying that our disagreements should all be smoothed over, but I am saying that the hard work of reconciliation is a responsibility that is ours nonetheless. What is described here in 2 Corinthians 5 is a paradigm shift that should inform the way we believe. God reconciles with us through Christ, so that we can do the hard work of reconciliation with one another.
            There are a few caveats, however. Abuse is not the same thing as disagreement. You are under no obligation to reconcile with an abuser, whether that abuser is a person or a church. Power dynamics are real, and you cannot come to the table in equal terms when one person has lorded power over another, or, for that matter, a church that lords power over individuals by virtue of their identity. Yet, in spite of the difficulty and in spite of the practical caveats, this is work we are called to nonetheless. Reconciliation is still valuable.
            In these COVID-19 days, perhaps reconciliation begins by acknowledging our shared desire for assurance and well-being. It’s too easy to imagine the worst of one another; we need a paradigm shift to imagine one another at our best. As Martin Luther writes in his explanation to the 8th commandment, one of our obligations to others is to “explain their actions in the kindest way.” Our leaders need to lead this way. Those who have power must raise up those who do not. That is what this letter to the church in Corinth is getting at with the language of equality. True equality is those with a voice using their platform to give voice to those without—to point to the oppressed and the victims of all sorts. Leaders don’t punch down but instead lift up.
            In all these things, we take God’s lead. This isn’t simply some philosophy thought up by wise guys; it is the very heart of God’s relationship with us. God would be well within God’s rights to beat us on the head for our shallowness, our inconsistency, and all the ways we are selfish, and yet God chooses not to punch down but to lift us up. In fact, Christ went to his death on behalf of all of us who didn’t deserve it. With that grace in our back pocket, the question is how then shall we live?
            We can’t punch down. That’s the judgment that should have fallen on our heads, and what would we be if we follow suit by doing the very thing God should have done to us? Instead, we lift up one another; we reconcile our differences. In fact, at our best, we celebrate our differences as a window to a paradigm that may well reveal God to us in startling new ways. We lift up our brothers and sisters who are oppressed, not concerned with what is politically expedient in the moment, or even whether they will return that gesture should they ever find themselves over us. The grace of God does not demand repayment, even if payment could be made, because grace is only grace if it is free and freely given.
            We never punch down, but instead we lift up because of this grace. That is reconciliation. It is the perpetrator lifting up the victim; it is the neutral acknowledging the need to run to those who are oppressed; it is a church and a people that side with the vulnerable; it is all these things that don’t often work in the real world, because we are too proud, too selfish, and too power hungry to change.
            Still, God refuses to punch down at us; God continues to lift up those under us. It is Mary’s Magnificat in action. Reconciliation is hard work, but it is free work having been saved by grace. So, it is possible—if we just get ourselves out of the way. Reconciliation is a paradigm shift we desperately need.

No comments:

Post a Comment