Sunday, September 22, 2019

Wrestling with God on the trail and in life



I thought I was under a lot of pressure to say something wise before going on sabbatical, but now I’m supposed to have found myself or something. Talk about pressure!
            It’s good to be back. Honestly, I can say that. It was also good to be gone. Those things are not mutually exclusive. One of the things I found to be very true over the course of a month walking the Superior Hiking Trail was the futility of grand declarations and defining experiences before you have them. There are lots of people hiking that trail for lots of different reasons. Some people are out there to make some definitive change in their lives. Something isn’t right back home and the trail offers a kind of proving ground to test a new way of living. But that wasn’t me.
            For others, they were out in the wilderness to find themselves. If you’ve ever read the book Wild or the seen the movie with Reese Witherspoon that’s the kind of mentality I’m talking about—people walking a trail because they don’t know who they are and something about it calls out to them. This is closer to an act of pilgrimage. You strip away the daily rigor of life and replace it with a different, simpler rigor and you may discover something about yourself you’ve never realized before, but again, that wasn’t why I was out there.
            I had the advantage of perspective. I wasn’t a 20-something trying to find myself, and neither was I in a mid-life crisis. But that’s not to say I knew what I was doing. There’s a tendency on the trail (as in life) to make wide, sweeping declarations about why we are doing what we are doing. Many of these declarations end up being impossible to maintain.
            How many of you know people who are constantly talking about making 180 degree changes in life? They’ve been going one way for so long, but now they’ve reached a point and decided, “Now’s the moment! I’m going to change.” I’m guessing many of you have been there. I’ve been there! Maybe you are there right now, thinking, “I just need to flip things completely around!”
            Some of you have grown past that stage, perhaps. There were plenty of those folks on the trail, too. People returning someplace meaningful… people just getting out to get out.
            That’s the thing about the trail: It’s a metaphor for life, because everyone has a different direction, pace, and purpose. Everybody is out there for different reasons. Everybody is starting and ending at different places. Everybody is looking for a different experience. Everybody suffers differently. Everybody enjoys it differently. It’s a huge mistake (whether on the trail or in life) to assume that everybody is in it for the same reason that you are. They’re not. Your goals are not other peoples’ goals. Your deepest desires are not their desires. Sometimes they line up, sure, but not always, not most of the time.
Do not go through life trying to make other people have the same purpose as you, especially not your spouse and especially (especially!) not your children. Even if you’re walking the same path, don’t assume it’s for the same reason.

            Everybody is also wrestling with something different, which brings us finally to Jacob in Genesis 32. Don’t worry, a month in the woods didn’t completely ruin my ability to preach on the scripture for the day. Jacob is a cheater. His name means it, Ya-aqob in Hebrew, “heal-grabber” or “he cheats.” He stole his brother’s birthright. He took a blessing that wasn’t his. He devised a scheme to get the stronger goats from his father-in-law, Laban. But Jacob is not one-dimensional; he’s not a bad guy or a good guy. We might not like that, but most people—most real people that is—are shades of grey. Jacob is good and bad, sinner and saint, a hero and a villain.
            This is the Jacob who wrestles with the mysterious man at Peniel. We get no warning that this is going to happen, no walk-up music or video montages or speeches. Jacob doesn’t go to Peniel to declare a big change in his life or to rediscover some magic from time gone by. Instead, he simply ends up in a seemingly unimportant place at a seemingly meaningless time and meets God there. Strangely, God meets Jacob in a wrestling match.
            Which of us hasn’t been there? Wrestling a mysterious divine figure through the night?
            OK, maybe nothing like that has ever happened to you in the flesh, but I guarantee you’ve wrestled. You’ve wrestled with a difficult decision. Or with heartbreak. Or with uncertainty. Or with anxiety, or depression, or another medical condition. The shadowy figure that fights us all night long is real and personal and we can’t defeat it—the best we can do is hole on.
            The first step is to acknowledge that we all have this fight, but it takes different forms for each of us. You are all going to be so sick of the trail metaphors over the coming weeks (I’m just going to warn you of that right now),  but if we imagine we are all walking a path through life—that we are all on the same path, in fact, since our lives connect by living in the same place—then there is a huge temptation to believe we are wrestling with the same masked men—that we all have the same demons. It’s not true.
            God does not promise that we will have equal difficulties in life. That much is really obvious if you look at the world for half a second. Some people have it much easier than others, and others appear to have it much easier when they are screaming in pain underneath the surface. Most of the time, we don’t know. We may not even know what our loved ones are wrestling with. You may not even know what you yourself are wrestling with. Our motivations usually go deeper than we realize.
            As I walked the trail I would often ask people why they were out there. I mean, I said “Hi” or “Good morning” first; I wasn’t a completely crazy person. But if I got the chance, I was curious to know what other people would say. Their answers were as varied as they were incomplete. It’s easy to answer a difficult question with clichés. “I just love to get away!” they would say, or “It’s my happy place.” We don’t often step back and ask ourselves why we are doing things that we enjoy. That’s for the philosophers and theologians. For most of us, it’s just enough to do things that are enjoyable. Of course, I was often asked the same question, and I, too, had no idea how I should be answering, especially at first. It took wrestling with it. Struggling with it. It took time. I wrote some things in my sabbatical proposal and more still to get a start on the devotional before I ever walked a step, but the more I tried to define the experience before I had it the slipperier it became.
            I have noticed this a lot, actually. We like to define the reasons we are having an experience before we have it. This is especially true of young people who feel obligated to do things in a certain way and are forever explaining why they are doing something before they even do it. It’s called planning, we say. Meanwhile, if we’re honest, there’s no way to know why we are doing a new thing until we’ve actually done it.
Some of this comes from a good place. We are taught to have goals to give us direction, but what if what we are lacking is not direction but space to discover who we really are? Space to wrestle! And who are we wrestling with? Ourselves, sure, but more fundamentally, we are wrestling with God and the reason we were put on this earth.
You wrestle first. The answers come much, much later. Your wide, sweeping declarations are cute, but they won’t hold in an encounter with the true God who meets us when we least expect it. You can come to God with a list of reasons why you are there, but the wrestling match that ensues will quickly put you in your place. It’s better to come empty, come open, come believing that because you are a creature created by God you have purpose and a reason for being on this earth, and it’s folly to define it until you’ve gone deeper. How can you possibly know why you are the way you are until you’ve actually met God and wrestled through the long night of uncertainty?
            So, why was I on the trail? To rest. To slow down. To not just notice things, but to see things. That’s it, actually—the best reason I could come up with after a month on the trail: I was out there to pay attention to nature, to people, and to myself.
            Now, you might notice something was missing from that list. Man, the pastor really forgot he was supposed to be paying attention to God! What a failure!
            Well, not exactly. I didn’t forget. But something changed along the way. There was this funny moment as I was sitting beside a river one day chatting with a group of four young women who had stopped to have lunch. We started talking about the reasons we were out there, and they had some really good insights. Then, something really fascinating happened. When they learned I was a pastor on sabbatical, one of them gave me the look—you know, the twisted up face, side-eye look—and said, “So, when you’re a pastor on sabbatical are you supposed to not think about God?”
             “What do you mean?” I asked.
            “Well, it’s just that when you go on sabbatical you’re supposed to not be working, right? And your work is thinking about God, so…” she trailed off.
            We all laughed. Pretty quickly the subject changed, and I didn’t think about this again for some time. Then, one day as I was walking along the trail it hit me. She was right. When I went started my hike, I intended to have profound thoughts about God, but I found that the thoughts I was having were forced. It was only when I stripped away all my pre-conceived notions of what I was doing that I began to see new things, and I began to understand my own motivations for being out there. I saw the bits of selfishness, leaving behind my family; I saw the bits of gratitude, pushing myself away from comfort; I saw the bits of curiosity, wanting to explore and find something new; I saw the bits of determination, eager to push my boundaries. I saw it all when I stopped trying to tell God what experience I was going to have.
            The same was true with Jacob wrestling with God on the river bank. The same is true for all of us. Don’t claim to have overcome an obstacle you haven’t actually wrestled with yet. Don’t decide the solution before experiencing the problem. Even worse, don’t assume other people have the same problem.
            We don’t need to fix one another. Instead, we need to support one another in our own wrestling as we struggle with God and with ourselves. That’s what Jacob’s new name, Israel, literally means, “One who struggles with God.” It is the name given to the people who come after Jacob, the Israelites. We are called to struggle with God.
            It won’t be easy, because it is meaningful, and meaningful things are hard. This path we walk means resisting the easy answers and the quick fixes. It means that when you experience somebody suffering you don’t try to gloss over it and get out of there as fast as possible. It means the hard work of accompaniment, which is sitting with somebody who has not healed yet. It means the harder work of acknowledging our own faults and our own pains. It means going deeper into yourself, even though you know it’s dark down there sometimes. It means seeing things, being aware of little things, cultivating curiosity.
            Jacob was all sorts of grey—a sinner and saint—but he did one thing extraordinarily well. He was persistent. Oh man, was he persistent! He didn’t let God go. He wrestled until the morning light.
            God will hold us regardless. Jacob’s feat wasn’t saving his soul; God had that taken care of. Rather, Jacob’s persistence was the response we have to grace that is ours freely. Jacob held on to that hope without fear. This is something we don’t talk about enough as Lutherans. We understand we are saved by grace through faith apart from works, so we zonk out, knowing we are good with God. And it’s true! But it’s kind of a sad life to do nothing with that grace. Since God will never let us go, why not live boldly into the audacious hope we are promised?
            Wrestle with God. Resist the easier paths, the more comfortable places. Instead, hold on and support one another in their own wrestling, which probably looks quite different from yours. And do it all not to be right, and not to be proud, and not to be smart, and not to be wise, but instead, wrestle with God, because that’s where you find peace. The one and only place where you can discover who you truly are. Your reason for being.

No comments:

Post a Comment