Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My 2014 year in review

So, basically, my 2014 can be summed up in one picture:

That's Bean, and she's a monster of cuteness.

Basically all other 2014 achievements are dwarfed by that monster in pink.

But other things did happen this year. Many other things, actually. In fact, as much as people liked to tell me that I wouldn't have time for other things, 2014 was a year of plenty of other things. Here are just a few:

The church:
It's kind of hard to quantify how good a year of pastoring is. I mean, you don't get a batting average or earnings reports or anything, and the feedback people give is usually pretty surface-level--even if heartfelt. But with that said it felt like a good year. Our devotional practices as a church (and personally) are much deeper and more strongly rooted now than they were a year ago. There's plenty of energy in this place, which is a nice thing three years into a call, and I enjoy going into work most every day.

The family:
Well, there's that cute monster up there again. Also, there's my wife starting her call in Oslo/Alvarado. That's wonderful, though certainly also stressful. We've had our share of winter sickness already, but mostly things are great. Kate did her first triathlon this summer a little over five months after giving birth, so that's pretty impressive... I guess :-) It's also an established fact that she's the best, so she's got that going for her.

The fitness:
2014 was a fantastic year of personal bests. In spite of having to often get a workout in before work after too short of a night (thanks to the aforementioned monster) I still had my best year yet. I biked less this year than in the past, focusing more on harder, shorter rides and runs. The payoff was tremendous. I set personal bests in 1 mile, 5k, and 8 mile runs, as well as running my first ever half marathon. I also set personal bests on my local 12, 30, and 50 mile bike loops.

I finished my second Ngede Challenge, my sixth triathlon, the Lakes Country, the Crookston duathlon, a half-marathon, a handful of local runs, and of course The Hunger Ride.

I also got the bestest Christmas present from the bestest wife of a shiny TT bike, so I guess there's more of that on the horizon!

The other stuff:
I haven't had as much time as years' past for other hobbies. I haven't played a chess tournament or done much fishing. C'est la vie. I wouldn't change a thing, really. I'm happy and healthy and looking forward to what is coming in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment