Monday, September 9, 2013

Biking the farmland, setting goals, and what's ahead

Recently I have been riding my bike a lot. That's not really all that new, but for most of the last few years I've done a fair balance of running and biking and other things--swimming and basketball and Insanity and whatever else. But right now? Just biking. All the time.

There are a few reasons for this. One: I kinda like biking. Two: My knees appreciate the rest from running. And three: My main goal for this year was to do my first century--a 100 mile ride. Hopefully, 19 days from today, that goal will be achieved at the Headwaters 100.

So, I figured it might be time to let people know how things were coming along. I'm entirely certain that most people really don't care about details of training plans and whatnot, so for you, don't worry, I'm not going to get too into specifics. But one of the things I've realized recently is that people actually do enjoy reading about these kinds of stories--OK, I've actually only realized I enjoy reading these kinds of things; I have no idea if you do. I suppose you can vote by not clicking on the link the next time I post something like it.


Since early August, when I didn't win the Crookston Triathlon but thought for awhile that I did, it's been a gradual process of shifting my focus from going fast over a relatively short distance to going at a more leisurely pace for a much longer time. By more leisurely of course I mean: probably too fast because if I'm on a bike I have the compulsive urge to race, and by much longer I mean: much longer.

So far I have worked my way up to a 63 mile training ride and the 77 mile Tour de Pines along with a couple 50 milers. It's amazing what little things come up when I'm on the bike for a long time. It's rarely my legs that are the limiting factor; more often it's stomach discomfort as I try to figure out what to eat and what not to eat; and sometimes it's saddle sore or something equally exciting. Also occasionally the bike itself gives up before I do. Last Tuesday I had done 27 miles, mostly into the wind, and still felt particularly fresh. I had about 15 miles left to ride with a tailwind and, honestly, I was really looking forward to it, when suddenly my rear wheel started shimmying and shaking and doing various other leaping motions I can only assume with the goal of escaping into the wild. The spokes on one side had become completely loose (the other side wasn't much better). This was, I realized smartly, a big problem; one that required Kate to save my butt with a pickup truck and take my poor, dilapidated bike in for a tune up.

However, there have been many good moments along the way as well. As I've slowed down a little I am taking more time to enjoy the scenery. Kittson County is beautiful--though absurdly flat. The harvest brings with it some troubles--dirt and smells and trucks--but it's also a time of transformation that I get to experience first-hand everyday I'm on the bike.

Best of all, I'm getting stronger. I'm faster than ever--even as I'm biking longer and longer. I joked around some about the Grasshopper Ride where a tailwind propelled me to a normally unreachable average speed of 25 mph over the course of 13 miles, but the truth is that I felt great and fast--fast and great. It's kind of a neat feeling to just cruise like that. Today I rode a longer distance and was heading into the wind for the first half, so considerably less speedy, but again I felt fast. There's nothing like that feeling, especially on a day when I'm not giving it my all.

So what's ahead? Well, the Headwaters 100. That's the main thing. Everything else is well beyond the horizon. I have a plan for the winter and a vague idea of what next spring and summer will bring, but of course things will change. I have no idea how much I'm going to be able to do with a baby on the way, but mark my words: I will keep it up.

All sorts of things matter in life: God and family first and foremost among them. But biking matters to me, too. I need to have goals not only for my health but also because it is something that drives everything else that I do.

And with that I think I'll leave it 'til next time: look for a report on the Headwaters 100 by the end of the month!

1 comment:

  1. Nice interesting blog I hope there will be more up coming blog like this. Thank you!!

    Click Here

    ReplyDelete