Saturday, October 8, 2011

On being a Minnesota sports fan: Hockey edition

I woke up this morning with one thought in my head, "Hockey! Hockey! Hockey!"

It's Wild season!


So here I am getting stoked about another team that has little real chance of success, but this is also how it always works. We are very excited about the potential... until it's actualized. Then, we are left with the inevitable fruits of the Vikings, Twins, Wolves, Gophers, and even the Wild. It'll probably be a losing season. Actually, in hockey because of the ridiculous scoring where you get points for overtime losses, it might not look like a losing season.

40-32-10 looks a lot better than 40-42. In the NHL they're basically the same.

Still, it's hockey season and my fantasy league of Canadians and other hockey wonks is up and running. I'm looking forward to defending my title, looking forward to pretending the Wild will contend and ready to return to the X where the Wild are undefeated in games I've attended... now I just need to have gone more than twice.

Fearless prediction: Wild finish 2nd in the NW Division with a record of 42-33-7 but miss the playoffs by something like one point (because that is how we roll)

No comments:

Post a Comment