Thursday, June 30, 2011

Government Shutdown Hypocrisy

Firstly, I have to say that I don't understand all the particulars of the Minnesota budget debate. Frankly, I also don't care. Maybe that makes me an irresponsible constituent, but whatever... All I care is that the government comes to some sort of agreement today. I don't care who "wins" or "loses." This makes me a minority; everybody seems to want to be right. Everybody also wants to give the impression that they are being reasonable and the other side isn't.

Honestly, I don't know who is being reasonable (probably few if anybody). I scanned a few articles today, and--surprise, surprise--the ones with a liberal bent are complaining that the Republican-controlled legislature isn't budging, while the ones with a conservative bent are complaining that Governor Dayton (a Democrat) isn't budging.

What is clear is that if nothing is solved soon the state government will be shutdown--save a few essential services. Some of this makes sense: clearly certain things can't be run without a budget. But other things are more than a little perplexing. I mean... who knows what is an essential service and what isn't? For those who are losing their jobs for indeterminate amount of time that would seem quite essential. Some of them, as far as I can tell, are going to be eligible for unemployment, but I can't tell if anybody is going to be working to process the unemployment benefits. This is, in short, a mess.

But the final hypocrisy is the matter of Canterbury race track and card club in Shakopee. Honestly, this might be the least important service that we would lose, though the jobs and entertainment are important--I understand. Personally, I've never been to Canterbury, so I have no immediate ties. However, I find the idea that a state government shutdown would close Canterbury to be somewhere between ridiculous and criminal.

The reason is simple: Canterbury is not subsidized by the state one penny. Zero. Its license is renewed through July (as I understand it). Simply, it is a pure money-generator for the state. But come tonight it could be shutdown.

The reason is simple: the state wants us to miss it. Maximum pain for maximum effect. This way if you aren't losing your insurance (which many Minnesotans will be), or if you aren't affected by license closures (which many Minnesotans are), then perhaps you will be affected by the loss of your personal entertainment. Meanwhile, legislators and the governor will be complaining about a lack of funds. Well, I know where you can start: stop making a point and trying to be right; start actually representing your peoples' interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment